Limited to 15 students and open to students from all majors
Rice University is offering a unique academic and professional experience with a faculty-led, six-credit hour program in Madrid, Spain.
1) How long is this program?¬† 6 weeks ‚Äď The Program begins Thursday, May 16 and ends Saturday, June 29, 2019.
2) Will a Rice Professor be with the group for the duration of the program?¬† Yes, Drs. Luis Duno-Gottberg and Esther Fernandez will lead the program.
3) What classes will I take?¬† You will take 2 classes (6 credits total).¬† One of the courses (SPPO 492) will be a full-time, six-week internship in a company or NGO (Non-Government Organization) in Madrid.¬† The second will be a class (SPPO 392) about contemporary Spanish culture and society.
¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Internships: you will be working 5 days a week for six weeks.¬† The class on the society and culture of Spain meets every Tuesday and Thursday evenings.
4) Eligibility ‚Äď Interested students should be able to communicate above Intermediate II level Spanish.¬† Preference will be given to those registered in an upper division Spanish class during the Fall 2018 semester (above Intermediate Spanish II).¬† If you are interested, you must schedule a short interview with Dr. Duno-Gottberg (firstname.lastname@example.org).
This program is open to students from all majors.
5) Internships ‚Äď Students will be placed in their internships based on skills, interests, and professional goals.¬† We have numerous possibilities available, ranging from finances and banking, to education, and social and health services.¬† The Internship in this program will count as a class.
6) Where will I stay while in Madrid?¬† Students will be provided with home-stays for the duration of the program with carefully pre-screened Spanish families.¬† During their stays, students will receive breakfast and dinner on weekdays (by their Spanish families).
7) Weekly cultural activities and weekend field trips.¬† Dr. Duno-Gottberg, will plan weekly cultural activities (watching plays, museums visits, ‚Äútapas crawl,‚ÄĚ cooking classes) as well as weekend trips.¬† All of these activities are covered in the Program cost.
8) Travel to and from Madrid ‚Äď Students are responsible for their own travel expenses to and from Madrid.¬† Students commit to arrive within the required time frame.
Program Costs ‚Äď $6,500 (Includes Rice University Summer Tuition for six credit hours, plus a $500 non-refundable deposit).¬† There might be a limited number of small fellowships available.
The program costs include:
- Tuition and fees for the six credits of coursework.
- Home stay with Spanish families (breakfast and dinners included).
- Placement in an Internship with a Spanish company or NGO.
- Weekly cultural activities and weekend field trips.
- One-month bus and rail pass.
- Support and dedication from Rice faculty and staff.
It does not include air travel, meals (other than those during weekdays at home), cell phone, and personal expenses.
For More Information ‚Äď Please contact Dr. Luis Duno-Gottberg (email@example.com) or call 713/348-5451. Students interested in applying should download the Study Abroad Registration Form, complete and return it to Paula Platt, Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline¬† (1) ‚Äď Early Decision: November 30, 2018.
Application Deadline¬† (2) ‚Äď January 10, 2019.